dog food toxicity vet pet cat home visit

Common Dog Poisons

Human foods Toxicity

There are a lot of human foods that you should stop feeding to your dog as they can have an adverse effect on their health.
Salt: Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning. Signs: depression, tremors, elevated body temperature and seizures.
Alcohol: affects dogs in the same way it affects humans.
Signs: intoxication, gastrointestinal irritation, respiratory distress, coma and death.
Avocado: contains persin which is in all parts of the avocado.
Signs: gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart and even death.
Chocolate: contains theobromine (a methlyzanthine) which is toxic to dogs. Toxicity is dose related effect depends on the size of the dog, the amount eaten and the type of chocolate. 
Signs: restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhea, increased drinking and urination, increased heart rate and seizures. 
(Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.)
Caffeine products: In large enough doses, caffeine can be fatal for a dog and there is no antidote. 
Signs: restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations and muscle tremors.
(This also includes tea.)
 Cooked bones: can splinter and cause gastrointestinal obstruction or laceration.
Fat trimmings: Fat, both cooked and uncooked
Signs: intestinal upset, with vomiting and diarrhea. It can also lead to your pet to developing pancreatitis.
Grapes & Raisins: It can lead to kidney failure.
Onions & Garlic:
Signs:  gastrointestinal irritation and lead to red blood cell damage and a form of anemia.
Green tomatoes and raw potatoes: cause violent gastro-intestinal problems.
Xylitol (artificial sweetener): Causes insulin release in dogs which can lead to liver failure.
signs: vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.
(This sweetener is used in candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods and some diet foods.)
Yeast dough: can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your dog’s digestive system. This can be painful and cause the stomach or intestines to rupture.

Households

Medications
That can be toxic at certain doses include: Aspirin, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. Other medications that should not be given to your dog as they can be potentially lethal, even in small doses, include:

·         Antidepressants – can cause vomiting and lethargy with certain types leading to serotonin syndrome.

·         ADHD medications – act as a stimulant and dangerously elevate heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.

·         Anti-cancer drugs.

·         Anti-diabetics – cause a major drop in blood sugar levels causing disorientation, lack of coordination and seizures.

·         Cold medicines – acts as a stimulant causing elevated heart rates, blood pressure, body temperature and seizures.

·         Vitamin D derivatives – cause life-threatening spikes in blood calcium levels in pets that can lead to kidney failure.

·         Diet pills.

·         Muscle relaxants – can impair the central nervous system and lead to death.

Household hazards.

·         Ant baits: These contain boric acid which is toxic to dogs if eaten in a large amount. Ant baits have a sweet smell and taste to attract ants but it also appears to attract dogs.

·         Fertilizers: Fertilizer products generally contain varying amounts of nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P) and potassium (K) compounds. They may be in liquid, granular or solid form and contain additives such as herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
Signs: they cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal irritation which may present signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation and abdominal pain.

·         Lead: Lead is not a common toxicological problem but it may occur from ingestion of lead-containing dust or paint when grooming their contaminated coat.
Signs: Chronic: vomiting, abdominal pain, anorexia and diarrhea 
            acute: convulsions, blindness and tremors.

·         Rodenticides (rat or mouse bait): These are a common cause of dog poisoning. Most rodent poisons use anti-coagulants that kill the animals by causing uncontrollable bleeding. These baits are designed to attract animals so consider the use of them very carefully and try to use alternatives where possible.
Signs:  appear one to four days after ingestion, they include depression, weakness, coughing and staggering.
(Most people don’t realize that eating a poisoned rodent can also poison your dog.)

·         Insecticides: These usually contain organophosphates and carbonates which are highly toxic to dogs. Signs: vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, muscle tremors and seizures.

BOOK NOW